Information for Parents
At Pumpkins we offer a personal service to ensure that we correctly identify your childcare needs and what is important to you, so that we can find the perfect match for your family.
All of our nannies are personally interviewed and thoroughly vetted before being considered for a position. All nannies will have either a formal childcare qualification plus experience, or at least 2 years paid experience with children.
In order to register with us a nanny must have an up-to-date paediatric first aid certificate and hold a recent DBS (previously CRB) enhanced check.
We also check various forms of identification , insurance docs and take both written and verbal references on each and every nanny we register.
Nannies who would like to become registered with Ofsted can join the voluntary part of the Ofsted Childcare Register (OCR), however Nannies are not required to be registered on the Ofsted Childcare Register. Registration is entirely voluntary.
- The cost of registration is £105
- DBS check £60 (even if nanny has already had a DBS check done, another one must be carried out (unless the previous check was obtained via Ofsted within the last three years).
- DBS checks can now be registered on the ‘Update Service’ for £13 per year. This keeps an up to date record and can be checked at any time.
- Nanny Insurance (public liability insurance) £70 to £90
- A valid paediatric first-aid certificate (valid for 3 years)£80-£120
- Nanny needs to confirm that she has the Common Core skills and knowledge in childcare and is therefore suitable to work with children (Level 3 OCN Common Core Skills £138, or a minimum of Cache Level 2)
Any nanny can become Ofsted registered, regardless of experience, providing they meet the above criteria.
You can use childcare vouchers to pay an Ofsted registered nanny.
For more information please visit http://www.ofsted.gov.uk/early-years-and-childcare/for-early-years-and-childcare-providers/caring-for-children-their-own-home.
• The average working day for a live-out nanny is 10-12 hours.
• A full-time nanny is entitled to 28 days including bank holidays per year.
• Typical nanny duties include children’s laundry, meals, maintenance of bedrooms, playrooms and communal areas.
• The average salary is £10-13 gross per hour in Hertfordshire.
• The average working day for a Nanny/Housekeeper is 10-12 hours.
• All nanny duties can be expected as well as household chores, family cooking, etc.
• A Nanny/Housekeeper is entitled to 28 days including bank holidays per year.
• The average salary is £10-£13 gross per hour in Hertfordshire.
After School Nanny
Standard duties include school runs, homework support and cooking an evening meal.
The average hours are 2.30pm-6.30pm (a minimum of 4 hours is required) and the average hourly rate is £12-£14 gross.
We have a high success rate of placing after school nannies when families share a nanny between them, reducing the individual families cost to £7.20 gross per hour.
Please note that the standard rate for a nanny’s petrol allowance for using their own car is 45 pence per mile.
Our fees for permanent nannies are 2.5 x the gross weekly salary of the position. Fees become payable 14 days after a position has been confirmed.
Please read our terms and conditions for more information.
If you’d like help in finding your new nanny please contact us using our family registration form or contact us
Parents who employ nannies will have legal duties to automatically enrol their nanny into a workplace pension. Further details can be found here.